The Vice-President of Medical Practice is a physician member of the executive leadership team of the SSM Health Medical Group, St. Louis. This leadership team is accountable for delivering all outcomes of the medical group.
The VPMP provides clinical leadership for a region of medical group clinics, clinical departments, and providers through:
- Ensuring the providers demonstrate the values of SSM Health.
- The development and implementation of effective strategic and operational plans to deliver excellent outcomes across a wide range of domains. These include clinical quality, safety, patient experience, and total cost of care.
- Establishing effective strategies and tactics to foster an engaged clinical staff (physicians and Advanced practice clinicians.
- Collaboration with the recruiting team to develop and implement of a robust provider recruitment and retention plan
- Representing the region on appropriate system forums and committees.
- Ensuring providers are meeting production goals and budgets.
- Partnering with system leaders to implement a physician leadership development program
- Partnering with HR leaders to manage provider coaching and disciplinary actions as needed.
- Active partnerships with regional physician leaders (e.g. CMOs) and hospital leaders to ensure our patients are cared for in a seamless manner across our entire care continuum.
- Ensuring providers are actively driving clinical activities that are needed for successful performance on risk-based contracts (e.g. value-based care, bundled payments)
- Providing overall strategic direction and management of advanced practice providers (APC) in partnership with the group's medical director(s)
- Ensuring the region provides excellent access to clinical services (in person, online, by phone)
- The exploration and implementation of innovative models of care delivery.
- Development of strategies and tactics that help providers of a region foster ongoing professional relationships with each other.
- Exemplifying positive interpersonal relationships and communication skill with physicians, staff, community. Demonstrates an ease working with and in the public domain and inspires others, conveys confidence and innovation. Is straight forward and transparent in communications.
- Making decisions based on verifiable and/or measurable data or criteria. Demonstrates a results orientation and track record of achieving results by inspiring and mobilizing the skills and interests of others to accomplish common goals.
- Establishing high connectivity with physicians of the region
- Demonstrating the ability to work effectively in a complex environment and to negotiate and mediate complex and often competing interests.
- Maintaining a clinical practice on a limited basis
Reports to: SSM Health St. Louis Medical Group President
Supervises: Medical Director(s) within the medical group and other functions designated by the Medical Group President
Interrelationships: Regional and System leaders of quality, safety, informatics, finance, contracting, human resources, strategy and business development. Interacts with employees and leaders within the organization on a daily basis.
1. Mission, Values and Standards of Ethical Conduct
- Demonstrates and imparts the mission, philosophy, values and vision of SSM Health in daily activities and into operational functions, processes and environment.
- Works effectively as a team member in a dynamic executive environment where collegiality, subsidiary and sharing responsibility is required and highly valued within a matrix organization. Promotes teamwork within and across the region.
- Adheres to the SSM Health Standards of Ethical Conduct, displaying, as applicable, ethical behavior in the areas of business ethics, legal compliance, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, vendor relationships and the reporting of questionable activities.
- Demonstrates a significant commitment to the mission and vision and exemplifies values, demonstrates humility and has a high personal moral character and integrity. Personal attributes exhibited included integrity, honesty, trustworthiness, compassion and active listening.
2. Exceptional Service - Patient/Customer
- Ensures quality standards are achieved and deadlines are met
- Provides a focus and dedication to rigorous processes and initiatives that result in a differentiated patient experience.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legislative and regulatory rules and requirements established by state and federal agencies as well as those of voluntary accrediting bodies.
3. Exceptional Engagement - Physician/Employee
- Works as a key liaison to members of the Medical Group Physician board of directors and leadership council members. To ensure great communication and coordination of effort between the medical group administrative team and the representative physician leadership structure.
- Works with the system and regional clinical leaders including Chief Clinical Officer, Chief Quality officer, Regional CMO to ensure providers are fully engaged in the work of the medical group as well as work to support broader system/regional priorities.
- Works in concert with other medical group executives to ensures that the physician and provider workforce remain resilient to help prevent burnout.
- In partnership with the regional physician leaders, creates an integrated approach to engaging local physicians to enhance local care delivery.
- Pursues opportunities for partnerships, collaborations and new programmatic opportunities that may offer enhancements to the effectiveness of the medical group.
4. Exceptional Performance - Financial/Growth/Development
- Manages financial performance within budget by managing projects appropriately.
- Oversees key clinical initiatives that foster ongoing growth of the medical group.
- Oversees the development of balanced scorecards that provide accurate assessment of performance of providers and practices across a broad range of measures (quality, experience, TCOC)
- Ensure providers are active participants in ongoing process improvement activities.
- Monitors financial and clinical operations to ensure that the region utilizes its resources in a fiscally responsible and quality manner so as to assure the region's long-term sustained success.
- Encourages the integration with the communities through an effective communication and public and community relations program that emphasizes collaboration, education and support. Serves in a visible manner in the community and region, deploying appropriate assets, influence and leadership for the benefit of the community.
- Represents the organization in its relationship with other healthcare facilities and third-party payers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- M.D. or D.O. from an accredited Medical School in the US is required
- Minimum of five years' experience working with internal and external healthcare stakeholders (ex. Physicians, clinical staff, and administration).
- Knowledge of value-based care & payment agreement and competencies in a multi hospital, large health care system.
- Experience leading quality and performance improvements initiatives with a focus on care delivery.
- Ability and desire to integrate CQI/ Lean principles and tools into work processes.
- Understand the Mission and Values of SSM Health and Franciscan Sisters of Mary.
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills.
- Office environment characterized by comfortable furnishings, adequate lighting and ventilation, minimal noise.
- Occasional long/irregular hours.
- Non-smoking environment.
System Vice President, Chief Philanthropy Officer
St. Louis, MO
System Vice President of Pharmacy
St. Louis, MO
Vice President of Nursing - St. Mary's
St. Louis, MO
Vice President of Operations - St. Mary's
St. Louis, MO
At SSM Health, we are driven by a singular Mission: Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God. It's a higher calling that binds us. Here, we work together, system and providers alike, to heal the body, mind and spirit of our patients. We are united by a shared commitment to serve through faith, humanity, compassionate care and exceptional medicine.
At SSM Health, diversity, inclusion and equality are integral parts of who we are and a reflection of our Mission and values. We believe that workplace diversity is essential to our success. We seek to foster awareness and appreciation of diversity among our patients, employees, physicians, providers, customers and communities.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Missouri - Eastern
From the famed Gateway Arch in St. Louis to Kansas City, Missouri is one of the most livable states in the country. The metropolitan area features a large variety of neighborhoods and communities. With an affordable housing market, trendy neighborhoods, and the booming economic landscape this one of the most attractive areas for professionals. Smaller cities like Jefferson City, our capital, and Columbia, home of the University of Missouri, offer vibrant communities buzzing with activity, yet free of the hustle and bustle of larger metropolitan areas.